*Updated March 17, 2023*
I’ve been photographing couples in love for years, and “what do we wear for our engagement session?” Is my most asked question when we are prepping for it! So I rounded up my favorite AMAZON finds that would look amazing in photos for ANY season!
The best part? most of them are Prime!
I usually recommend couples to wear one “fancy” outfit and one that’s more of a date night outfit. I’ve been married for
5 10 years now, so my date night outfit is sweats and a top knot, but that’s not what I mean when I’m instructing my couples on what to wear 😂. Think more of a cute dress that you would wear for a first date.
I also recommend having at least one flowy dress! Dresses that have a lot of movement photograph so beautifully, and they twirl so naturally.
1.Stay away from small patterns like small houndstooth or plaid. They get lost on camera and can distract from your pretty faces.
2. Go for a complementary look. If one of you wears a pattern, have the other wearing solid colors. The goal is to coordinate, but not match perfectly. (Unless you’re going for a very classic black suit and black dress look as shown below)
3. Wear something that makes you feel like you look your best! If you have to stand a certain way to make the dress look flattering, it’s probably not the dress for your engagement session. This happens a lot with dresses that don’t have a cinched waist. They’re cute in real life, but may make you look a little boxy on camera from some angles.
4. You may think wearing a pretty dress is only acceptable in an urban setting, but they look AMAZING out in the “wild”, too! 😉 Proof:
5. Speaking of locations, think about where your engagement session will be. Is it going to be in the Hill country? The desert? The city? All of these options would likely look great in any of those locations!
6. Consider your “problem areas” when choosing your ensembles. i.e., If you hate your knees, I would suggest wearing a long dress instead of a short one. If you don’t like your arms, wear something with sleeves. The more comfortable you feel, the better your photos will be!
7. For guys, you can NEVER go wrong with a suit and tie or a sport coat! Men may seem like the hardest to dress, but they’re really the easiest!
8. Neutrals are your best friend! Unless you’re sporting a classy red dress, stick to more neutral colors and let your location do all of the talking.
With all of these things in mind, here are some outfits I’ve rounded up for my peeps 🤗 All of these have direct links (listed below the image in green) to the products so you don’t have to waste time searching! (FYI, I have not ordered all of these from Amazon for myself (I’ll tell you which ones I did and LOVE) but they all have wonderful reviews and real photos on amazon! A lot of them have free returns or try-ons!)
Follow My Amazon Storefront for up to date inspiration! This post is 5 years old and I try to update it yearly, but my Storefront is updated more often! Btw I have a Home account as well that is shared here, so you can get ideas for your house too!
PS Be sure to follow me on the Like To Know It app for more inspiration!
I recommend having at least one “fancy” dress option! Some of these are fancier than others, so you do you!
(Tap the image or description below to shop!)
Shop: Off The Shoulder Midi Dress with Balloon Sleeves– Multiple Color Options
1 . Gold Layered choker necklace – $13
3 . 14K Gold-plated Heart Shaped Necklace – $11
8 . Fishbone Choker Necklace – $8
9 . 18K Gold Layered Circle Necklace – $15
This blog post ended up like the “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” story. If you buy a pretty dress you will need pretty earrings to go with it. And if you get pretty earrings AND a pretty dress, you’ll need to dress your fiance as well 😂 So here are some ideas for the guys with the whole ensemble! (These are from Amazon, but I would suggest getting a “real” suite that will be tailored to fit perfectly)
Allison Jeffers is a photographer and educator serving sweet couples and helping other creative entrepreneurs reach their goals. She specializes in wedding photography, elopements, and proposals as well as Bridal and Engagement portraits in Texas. She is available for travel worldwide and has her passport ready!